1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Stan Musial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

OK, doing some research, the slider was invented in the 1910s, though it didn't have many practitioners until the 1950s and didn't really take hold as a dominant out pitch until the 1970s.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Coolest Musial stat: 1,815 career hits at home, 1,815 career hits on the road.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I always thought it was used cars. Either way, pretty good line.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

The first time I saw him was in 58.. He had a double and a single, I believe. I also saw him in 61 or 62. Both times at Forbes Field. He was genuinely revered by the fans, even those in opposing cities.

5. dieditor

dieditor Member

Bumping this for those who want to set their DVRs...MLB Network will have a one-hour retrospective of Musial and his career tonight at 9 ET.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Heard a great Musial story the other day that y'all will appreciate ... no idea if it's true, but who cares.

Back in the late '70s (Bo Derek's heyday, of course), Stan and Lil Musial were out at a restaurant and Stan gives his wife a jewelry box. It has a necklace made of diamonds in the shape of a number. The young waitress sees it and when Stan leaves the table for a minute, she puts her hand on Lil's shoulder and says, "Oh, honey, I'm sorry he thinks you're just a '6'."

Draft saved Draft deleted