1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Sports Illustrated photo department

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The SI Cover next week:

SPORTS ILLUSTRATED

# 3 FOR TOM

JANUARY 29, 2015

Riptide likes this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

When the Rams won the Super Bowl, it was a freelancer who shot the full-spread picture of Mike Jones making the game-saving tackle.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It's not just photogs. Two senior writers as well.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh boy.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Was Hot Clicks affected?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Or "This Week's Sign of the Apocalypse" in, appropriately enough, SI.

Joe Williams and Riptide like this.
  9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And yet we hear that Stephen A. Smith inks a deal worth $3M a year or some ridiculous amount.
    Says a lot about the business. Says a lot about the audience.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Time-Life invented the modern publishing bureaucracy, SI perfected it. I remember when there were what seemed hundreds of names on the masthead. I'm more surprised every newspaper and magazine hasn't gone to the all-freelance model. The infrastructure built up over years of monopoly has been unsustainable for a generation.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

IIRC, Bill Frakes freelanced for years for SI while working full-time for the Miami Herald.

I'd be curious what their ratio over the years has been to freelance photos:full-time staffer photos

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Evidently this is the corporate equivalent of musical chairs. The publishing company is going to move out of the Time-Warner building to a cheaper location. There is also less space so people who seeing who will not have a cubicle in the new offices.

Which leads to my question. Why would any publisher keep editorial headquarters in Manhattan? Rents are expensive and you have to pay staff more money to partially offset the higher cost of living.

Draft saved Draft deleted