1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sporting News Radio -- question mark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Aug 13, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

This weekend on XM I've heard commercials for the new "XM Sports Network" and most of the shows they are promoting (Tony Bruno, Troy Aikman) are currently Sporting News Radio shows, and the channel the new collection will be on is 143 -- yup, that's home to the Sporting News Network.

So at the very least, XM is dropping TSN. I wonder if the net's going belly up?

2. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Before I clicked on this thread, I was going to ask if I'm going to get 4 cents off my XM subscription.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

It looks like XM is dropping parts of SNR and keeping others.
    XM has a lot of its own original sports talk programming and was spreading it out over different channels. Now they have 1 place to put it all.
    And is anyone else, who is a XMer, enjoying those classic Casey Kasem American Top 40s from the 70s and 80s?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like half a replacement of SNR only.

http://www.radioink.com/HeadlineEntry.asp?hid=134627&pt=todaysnews

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I only hope they don't lose David Stern's overnight show. Outside of that, they can let the SNR stuff go.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Does this mean the ever-despicable Peter Brown will be employed by yet another radio network?

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

RIP is definitely premature, although business factors do hurt SNR. The network is number three in distribution because of Clear Channel's stations being forced to air Premiere networks distributed Fox Sports Radio, even though that's a pretty crappy product. Still, SNR seems to be doing pretty well growth wise right now - they just added a Tampa station, may pick up WKNR in Cleveland soon and are on at night on some really good stations like the Ticket in Dallas and KILT in Houston. Todd Wright being on from 10p to 2a has brought them some positive attention as well, since a lot of people used to hear him at ESPN on overnights and enjoyed the show before Jason Smith was brought in and made that time slot unlistenable.

Peter Brown is on WSSP in Milwaukee - no sign he's going network again anytime soon.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Brown is in Milwaukee???!!! Jesus Christ, my hometown loses its standards in my absence. I'm sure he's creating Brett Favre conspiracy theories and telling Milwaukeeans how stupid we are for dissing Derrick Turnbow.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Rufino, if SNR is in third, should I assume that ESPN is #1 and FSR is #2, or is it the other way around?

I'm happy that Wright is on SNR, since I can pick up WSCR Chicago on radio here in Iowa. Gawd, I miss those Late Night shows on the four-letter radio network with him.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Peter Brown is currently the afternoon drive-time host on one of the lowest-wattage, bottom-feeding, crappy sports-talk stations around in Milwaukee.

Fits there perfectly.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

From the Penthouse to the Outhouse. My have the shallow and conceitedmighty have fallen...

Draft saved Draft deleted