1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Spider-Man's marriage . . . . (WARNING!! Geek Thread!!!!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When did Goethe take up comic-book writing?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry, Gwen is still dead.

Storm losing her powers was before my time reading X-Men, so I can't comment on that one.

In fact, I started with the final issue before the "Fatal Attractions" storyline in which Wolverine lost his adamantium (metal). I thought the way he lost it made perfect sense in the story (Magneto liquefied it and literally ripped it out through his pores, the horrible act that finally pushed Xavier to wipe his mind). The way they returned the metal, as part of a completely different story, worked for me, too.

This is when I first found X-Men comics, so I'm biased, but it is so much better than this particular deal with the devil.

As I mentioned on the other geek thread, I absolutely hate what Marvel did here. Hate the idea. Hate the execution. Hate the disrespect shown to readers by wiping out so much of what they read.

Damn Quesada.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Also . . .the earlier part of this storyline featured Peter giving May some of his blood (which apparently has a healing factor now) after she was shot, in an effort to heal her.

That was published last spring. And thus, the just-finished seaosn of heroes loses its only original idea.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

So, did Mephisto just erase the memories of Peter and MJ or did he undo the entire history of the Marvel U after Peter and MJ got hitched?

6. outofplace

If I read it correctly, he had done it before and it worked in the comics. No idea how the hell that would work, though.

7. outofplace

That's one of the problems. Spider-Man is so deeply intertwined in the Marvel U that undoing part of his life screws up everything else. I'm still not clear if his recent time with the Avengers was real or not. Which of course, leaves his entire role in Civil War in question, along with about 1,000 other things.

He did still take off his mask in public, but nobody can remember whose face was under the mask...which is really weird.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Aunt May is not a slut and does not look good in spandex.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How come Marvel Comics can fuck up Spider-Man stories for years (Look, Peter Parker's a clone! Look, Norman Osborne is still alive! Look, Gwen Stacy actually gave birth to Norman Osborne's love children! Look, Aunt May still ain't dead!) and he still ranks as the top selling book year after year?

10. outofplace

Because of idiots like me who still enjoy reading about the character no matter how badly they screw it up.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

My purchase of those Esential Spider-Man books years ago looks wiser and wiser. Those reprints of the older comics are actually interesting.

I would say the moment when it was clear they had no idea what to do with Spidey was when he got Captain Universe powers about 15 years ago. That was the poiuint of no return. Since then, every "event: for Soidey has gotten worse and worse.

If I were still a collector and not just a fan from afar, I would be up in arms about the sheer stupidity of this. As it is, I'm just irritated.

12. outofplace

That Captian Universe stuff always sounded awful. So glad I missed it.

The one positive I have heard about Brand New Day (the storyline following the big event) is that it is more "old-school Spidey." No marriage. No money. No organic webshooters or mystical spider-totem crap. I can see the appeal. I just hate how they got there.

Of course, there is also a back-up story about a redheaded female super hero who calls people "Tiger." No idea what the hell that is about, yet, but it made me cringe.

Draft saved Draft deleted