1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Southern Rock

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

All the good people down in Tennessee are diggin Barefoot Jerry and the CDB.

RIP Skydog. He was 24 when he died and still considered one of the all time great guitar players.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Back Where You Belong" is one of the great videos of all-time.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And there's ZZ Top

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great use of "Caught Up In You" in the immortal movie Spring Break when Nelson was trying to find Susie at the Holiday inn.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I believe they toured together in 1978 or 1979. Saw them together at a Midwestern state fair, and it was an outstanding show, and not only because a friend of ours was on the security detail and let us smuggle in about three cases of beer.

Capricorn Records has an outstanding list of talent, and my all-time favorite radio station, WGOE in Richmond, had them all in heavy rotation.

Allmans, Marshall Tucker, Lynrd Skynrd, Outlaws, Grinderswitch, Elvin Bishop, Charlie Daniels, Wet Willie ... I supposed even Tom Petty could be considered Southern Rock., too. A great era for American music.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, depending on how you define the genre The Black Crowes, Drive-By Truckers, Widespread Panic, the Avetts and the North Mississippi All-Stars are all flying the southern rock flag.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Drivin and Cryin!

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

In the liner notes to their Greatest Hits album, Atlanta Rhythm Section basically claims it was a Southern Rock band.

While they did some great jamming live and on some of their album cuts I always considered them to be more soouther pop with some blues influences. Loved their stuff, but never considered them "southern rock."

Agree? Disagree?

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Any band that can create this, not a footnote.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes sir- Kings and queens bow before you.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They did a cool version of "Ghost Riders In The Sky" too.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Good band, but it's a shame their highest-charting hit was "Second Chance." I remember hearing that song on the radio quite a few times before I found out it was .38 Special. It sounded like something from Richard Marx or Chicago.

Draft saved Draft deleted