1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Skip Caray

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 3, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree. I can't say the words "Chipper Jones" without doing a Skip imitation.

RIP.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In the 1970s his humor was the only reason to watch the Braves. I watched WTBS all the time.

As he used to say in the ninth when the Braves had a (rare) lead in those days, "It's not coctail time, but you can put the ice in the glass."

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

this latchkey kid spent many lonely days hunkered in front of the tv watching caray-called braves games.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Wow -- I'd heard him for the first time in years the other day on XM. Didn't even know he was still calling games after TBS switched from the Braves to the national package. RIP.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Obit from the Braves' site. Apparently he missed the weekend series with bronchitis. This afternoon, he lay down for a nap and just never got up. There are, I suppose, worse ways to go.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080803&content_id=3250339&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I grew up watching the Braves on TBS.

You may not have liked his style but he was good people.

:'(

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh man oh man. Terrible, terrible news. A huge part of my childhood, nay my life, is gone. Thoughts and prayers to Chip and the family. RIP Skip. Oh, man, this sucks.

8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

RIP, Skip. I'm a Cubs fan and was a huge fan of Harry Caray, but after moving to the South about a decade ago, I learned to enjoy Skip's subtle charms on radio while driving wherever I was going from April-October (I already enjoyed him when I watched the Bravos on TBS).
    It was obvious that he wasn't feeling well - the link mentioned he had a brush with death last October - and I was struck by how thin his voice sounded this season.
    Still, I didn't expect this.
    I guess he's promised to patronize all of his sponsors, and now he's free to go walk the dog inside the pearly gates (Braves fans know what I'm talking about).

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Just had to add my sympathy to this thread.

There was a guy at my old shop that did such a great impression of Skip. When he was on cops, he would just shout out a phrase in his Skip voice. Great times.

RIP, Skip.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I certainly don't have the history with Skip Caray that Braves fans who grew up listening to him do. However, when we first got cable in the late 1980s, one of the channels we were able to get was TBS. Thus, I watched countless Braves games back when they and the Orioles were the dregs of baseball.

I watched him chronicle the Braves ascension to become one of the best teams in baseball. I watched with obvious interest when he broadcast the first interleague series between his Braves and the Orioles, back when that was hyped as a possible World Series match up. Until the Nationals came along, the Braves were my de facto National League team.

Thus, I'm very familiar with Skip Caray. Much more so than I would be most out-of-town announcers. I hope he and Harry are having a blast calling a game up there somewhere.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Listened to a lot of games with Skip and Pete.

:(

God bless the Caray family.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Holy shit. This sucks. Skip's droll delivery was absolutely awesome. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted