1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sir Edmund Hillary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Jan 10, 2008.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I wonder how the other Hillary is taking his death, considering she was named after him and all that.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know... I would have been pretty excited...

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

A story I've cited here before. Years back I had to do an obit on an Ottawa-based guy, self-styled mountaineer, whose claim to fame was that he designed and hand-made the sleeping bags that Hillary and Tenzing used on their conquest of ye olde mt. So on deadline I'm scrambling ... family, all warm and fuzzy tales about the great man's contribution to history. The extra call: Directory in NZ. Yup, Sir Edmund was a listed #. And, no, he assured me, he didn't use the sleeping bag. The obit ended up running quite small. Sleeping dogs lie.

YD&OHS, etc

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, man, I had completely forgotten that Clinton lie...
    I guess they all run together...

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

St. Peter: So, Mr. Hillary, why do you want to come through these gates?
    Sir Edmund: Because they're there.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dude was a stud. Read a book about George Mallory a few years back. Mallory was believed to have been about 200 feet or so from the top when he went over the side a decade or two before. Why hasn't there been a notable movie about Hillary's accomplishment?
    RIP Ed.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I bet he was pissed for a couple seconds.

8. Nope. Even though having the Rocket and Neil Armstrong on the same card also makes sense.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He'd have made Whitefish Bay if he'd put 15 more miles behind -- oh, wrong Edmund.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, how is he an envelope pusher if he needed locals to help him get there?

That would be like discovering a new world populated by lots of people already there.

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Then why do we celebrate Columbus Day?

Draft saved Draft deleted