1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP (Singer) Alan O'Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, May 20, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.examiner.com/article/alan-o-day-dies-undercover-angel-singer-dies-at-the-age-of-72

RIP to a one-hit wonder. Alan O'Day's biggest and best known song was "Undercover Angel" ("...Midnight fantasy...").

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Whoa! Hoo hoo hoo wee!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Also did the theme song for Muppet Babies. Undercover Angel was one of the best kitsch songs of the 1970s, and had one of the best mondigreens (misunderstood lyrics): "midnight fantasy" sounded like "midnight Tennessee"

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

RIP. He made me know that there's a love for me out there, somewhere.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If this wasn't the worst song of the 1970s, it has to be in the bottom five. But, RIP.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I always got that confused with "Heaven on the 7th Floor"; kitsch of the 70s, just reminds me of a warm summer by the doughboy pool without a care in the world. Good times.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That song made "Afternoon Delight" sound positively edgy.

Definitely in the Hall of Schlock, along with "One Tin Soldier."

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Basically the song was just an attempt to draft off the success of "Charlie's Angels," which had become a teevee hit a couple of months earlier.

And, of course, things were brought full circle when it was used on the soundtrack of the 2000 big-screen 'Charlie's Angels' movie.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

To me, 70s kitsch=chocolately-kate-upton-in-a-lesbian-tape-free-beer-forever-hitting-the-Powerball goodness.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

He also wrote "Angie Baby," a No. 1 hit for Helen Reddy, as well as "Rock and Roll Heaven" for the Righteous Brothers. RIP.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That seals it: Schlock Hall of Shame.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Undercover Angel" was on the radio every five minutes in the summer of '77. I hope he got rich from that.

Draft saved Draft deleted