1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Sen. Robert Byrd

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shaken, but not stirred the man said.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

KKK chapter founder.

'Nuff said.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Will they bury him with his hood on?

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

And once again, we see why the politics board went away.

Whatever Byrd did in his long life is now between him and God. But this kind of crap is just ignorant. There have been ample quotes over the years from Byrd repudiating his racist past ... and yeah, he was a despicable racist at one point. Quibble all you want with the sincerity of his apologies. But "once a Klansman, always a Klansman?" Lame.

Do we all really want to be remembered only for our worst moments?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Doesn't the fact that there were weapons inspectors in Iraq in March 2003 make this quote unacceptably outdated to attempt to prove any kind of point?

What the fuck am I missing here by stating what is so obvious?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love how quick people are to defend his membership in the Klan. I'm guessing that would not be the case if he was (gasp) a Republican.

Love Byrd or hate him, he was great for West Virginia. That cannot be argued.

7. WolvEagle

Those were some pretty despicable moments.

A couple years ago, I visited a national-caliber museum in my hometown. I hadn't been there in a few years, and organizers had put together an "Americana" display - the good and the bad - since I had been there last.

There was a KKK outfit on a mannequin in a glass case. Yes, I've seen KKK clips on TV, but to see a full outfit that close was stunning. Something that evil, that despicable, was a few feet in front of me. I wanted to be ill, but I'm glad the museum had that display. It will forever be a reminder of this evil.

8. WolvEagle

I don't care what party he was in.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's why? What's wrong with Armchair's opinion?

I thought the politics board went away because their were too many personal insults directed at other posters, resulting in too many complaints to the moderators, resulting in much too much work for the moderators.

There's no attack in Armchair's post.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you're Byrd's nephew or buddy, you should remember all the good moments.

If you're a journalist, history expects you to remember all the moments, best AND worst.

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Who's defending his Klan membership? Point to a specific quote, please.

12. It has nothing to do with the D the or the R attached to his name.

And Nobody is or has defended his Klan membership - including Byrd.

It has to do with the fact that he expressed regret over and over and over and over and over again about his membership and his stance on Civil Rights and beliefs in general (at that age) on race relations.
    No matter how many times he has apologized, the fucksticks trot out his Klan membership.

He was a senator not a saint.

And it's funny guys like Boots - want to hit this point over the head repeatedly; that a leopard can't change his spots... Which is really funny considering the fantastical bullshit he used to throw against the wall here.
    And yet we are supposed to believe he's a different kind of poster now?
    Is that irony?

Draft saved Draft deleted