1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rupert Murdoch's mom, age 193

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 7, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Now that's an old gray lady!

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch
    Many thanks for condolences about my Mum. A great lady, wife. mother and citizen. 193 yo, but still a blow.

Rupert Murdoch ‏@rupertmurdoch
    No, 103 yo! There are limits!

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

She really was a regal woman, a true dame and quite the philanthropist. I once had tea with her in the Adelaide Gardens. My Aussie friends Felicity and Fiona (those names!) had great fun teaching me to curtsy, and to not fuss with my big hat. The picture still sits on my mantle. I loved that day.
    She also really was 103, not 193, though that would've been something. I must say, I adored all the family as just normal people. They could be gracious and loads of fun. The Murdoch story so defines the vastness and greatness and grand possibility of Australia, in many ways.
    Lachlan was my intern in Sydney for a bit -- we just pored over MLB scores, which he missed, and he taught me a bit of cricket -- and now look at him.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/grandson-lachlan-murdochs-speech-reveals-honour-respect-and-emotion/story-fncynkc6-1226531593928

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

All she could do was dial, and yell.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Man, she was almost as old as JR

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who was momentarily excited upon glancing at the thread title?

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

jr jr the geriatric czar

Draft saved Draft deleted