1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rue McClanahan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dyno, Jun 3, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How much does it have to suck for that guy that a whole generation recognizes him, but they only know him to be "Joe Isuzu"? I couldn't come up with his name if you paid me and denied me a search engine.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Sadly, I know the name without looking it up.

He is David Leisure, and he played the neighbor Charlie on Empty Nest, which was indeed a Golden Girls spinoff. In one episode, Charlie got a new license plate that read, "Clover"

He thought it would be cool to have a license plate, C lover, as in Charlie lover. But, alas, it read as Clover.

Funny stuff, right there.

This post does not make me feel very cool.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I knew Leisure without looking it up as well...

Don Cheadle actually got his start on the Golden Girls spinoff Golden Palace.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Knew the David Leisure name as well ... also had a great cameo in 10 Things I Hate About You.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

It was David Leisure who was known as Joe Izuzu. He appeared in a few episodes on The Golden Girls, which landed him a spot on "Empty Nest" which followed GG on NBC. Empty Nest starred Richard Mulligan, Dinah Manoff, and Kristy McNichol.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Empty Nest was a solid show.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

David Leisure. And yeah, "Empty Nest" was a spinoff of "Golden Girls."

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Fred and Ethel Mertz (William Frawley and Vivian Vance) absolutely hated each other, too. They had the chance to do their own show after I Love Lucy went off the air and they both declined it.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? I don't think I laughed once, and I probably saw every episode (not proud, just saying).

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why would you watch every episode of a sitcom you never, ever found to be funny??

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I saw a doc on I Love Lucy a while back. Frawley and Vance didn't like each other, but Frawley was a misogynist in every sense of the word towards Vance. He so much hatred it was uncomfortable.

Being Uncle Bub on My Three Sons was a perfect fit for him, because it was an all-male cast.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Me, too. Though I always remember him first as Joe Isuzu and second as a dead ringer for Dan Patrick.

Draft saved Draft deleted