1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Rod Temperton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rod Temperton, a British-born musician and songwriter with a singular knack for pop-funk who wrote the Michael Jackson classics "Thriller," ''Rock With You" and many other hits, has died of cancer in London at 66.

His music publisher said in a statement Wednesday that Temperton had died last week of an "aggressive" cancer. No other details were provided.

Jon Platt of Warner/Chappell said Temperton was the sole writer of "Thriller," ''Off the Wall," ''Rock with You" and other major songs.

Temperton started his career in the disco band Heatwave and collaborated with Aretha Franklin, Herbie Hancock, Anita Baker and many others.

He was best known as a songwriter and worked closely with producer Quincy Jones on groundbreaking tracks for Jackson's mega-selling "Off the Wall" and "Thriller" albums.

Platt said Temperton was sometimes known as "the invisible man" for his behind-the-scenes role.

Temperton was a native of the seaside town of Cleethorpes, 180 miles (290 kilometers) north of London. He had been working in a frozen fish factory in the mid-1970s when he responded to an ad and joined Heatwave, an international group for whom he played keyboards and wrote two major hits, the disco favorite "Boogie Nights" and the ballad "Always and Forever."

"Always and Forever" attracted wide attention and was later covered by Luther Vandross, among others.

His work with Heatwave attracted the attention of Jones, who was then working with Jackson.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And back under the Mendoza line I go for recognizing RIPs. :(

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn, loved his work with Heatwave, was just listening to "Sho Nuff Must Be Love" and "Mind Blowing Decisions" last week. Also enjoyed his MJ collaborations. May he RIP.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Rod Temperton wrote or cowrote the following songs:[

Heatwave: "Boogie Nights," "Always and Forever," and "Ain't No Half Steppin'," from Too Hot to Handle, 1976; "The Groove Line" and "The Star of a Story" (covered by George Benson on Give Me the Night, 1980), from Central Heating, 1977; "Razzle Dazzle" and "Eyeballin'," from Hot Property, 1979; "Gangsters of the Groove" and "Jitterbuggin'," from Candles, 1980; "Lettin' It Loose," from Current, 1982; and more
    Michael Jackson: "Rock with You", "Off the Wall," and "Burn This Disco Out," from Off the Wall, 1979; "Baby Be Mine," "Thriller," and "The Lady in My Life," from Thriller, 1982; "Someone in the Dark," from the E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial audiobook/soundtrack album, 1982; and "Hot Street," an outtake from Thriller
    Rufus: "Masterjam" and "Live in Me," from Masterjam, 1979
    The Brothers Johnson: "Stomp!," "Light Up the Night," "You Make Me Wanna Wiggle," "Treasure," "All About the Heaven," "Closer to the One That You Love," and "Celebrations," from Light Up the Night, 1980
    George Benson: "Love x Love," "Turn Out the Lamplight," and "Give Me the Night", from Give Me the Night, 1980; "Family Reunion," from Songs and Stories, 2009
    Patti Austin: "Do You Love Me?," "Love Me to Death," "The Genie," and "Baby, Come to Me" (with James Ingram), from Every Home Should Have One, 1981
    Bob James: "Sign of the Times," "The Steamin' Feelin'," and "Hypnotique," from Sign of the Times, 1981
    Herbie Hancock: "Lite Me Up!," "The Bomb," "Gettin' to the Good Part," "The Fun Tracks," "Motor Mouth," and "Give It All Your Heart," from Lite Me Up, 1982
    Donna Summer: "Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)," "Livin' in America," and "Love Is Just a Breath Away," from Donna Summer, 1982
    The Manhattan Transfer: "The Spice of Life" and "Mystery" (covered by Anita Baker on Rapture), from Bodies and Souls, 1983
    Mica Paris: "You Put a Move on My Heart," "Love Keeps Coming Back," "We Were Made for Love," and "Two in a Million," from Whisper a Prayer, 1993
    Siedah Garrett: "Grooverre of Midnight" (originally a demo for Michael Jackson's Bad), "Baby's Got It Bad" (a rewrite of "Got the Hots," an outtake from Thriller credited to Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones on the Japanese edition of the album's 25th-anniversary reissue), and "Nobody Does Me," from Kiss of Life, 1988
    Quincy Jones: "The Dude," "Razzamatazz," "Somethin' Special," and "Turn On the Action," from The Dude, 1981; "The Secret Garden (Sweet Seduction Suite)" and "Back on the Block," from Back on the Block, 1989; "Slow Jams," from Q's Jook Joint, 1995, which also features covers of "Rock with You," "Stomp!," and "You Put a Move on My Heart"
    James Ingram: "One More Rhythm"
    James Ingram and Michael McDonald: "Yah Mo B There"
    Michael McDonald: "Sweet Freedom"
    Klymaxx: "Man Size Love"
    Jeffrey Osborne: "We Belong to Love" (also produced by Temperton)
    Aretha Franklin: "Livin' in the Streets"
    Javaroo: "Change It Up"
    Second Image: "Lights Out"
    Stephanie Mills: "Time of Your Life," "Hold On to Midnight"
    Karen Carpenter: "Lovelines," "If We Try", from Lovelines, 1989, and Karen Carpenter, 1996
    Wayne Hernandez: "Dancin' on the Edge," "Let Me Call You Angel," "Fazed Out"
    Tori White: "Make It Home"
    Lââm: "Fais de Moi Ce Que Tu Veux", "Love's in the House Tonight"
    Mýa: "Man in My Life" (cover of Michael Jackson's "The Lady in My Life")
    LL Cool J featuring Boyz II Men: "Hey Lover" (listed as cowriter due to sample of Michael Jackson's "The Lady in My Life")
    Angie Stone: "Lovers' Ghetto" (listed as cowriter due to interpolation of "The Lady in My Life")
    C+C Music Factory: "Share That Beat of Love" (listed as cowriter due to interpolation of "Rock with You")
    Mariah Carey: "I'm That Chick" (listed as cowriter due to sample of Jackson's "Off the Wall")
    Various Artists: "We Are the Future"

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Rock with You is as good as it gets. Probably the last time Michael looked comfortable in his own skin. I want to wear those threads one day.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Having written an opening song based on "Thriller" for the Providence Newspaper Guild Follies a few years ago, I'm joining the moment of silence.

Draft saved Draft deleted