1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Robert Creamer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nattering nabob, Jul 19, 2012.

1. I don't see this anywhere else. He was an original Sports Illustrated staffer, and wrote a great and influential biography of Babe Ruth. Robert Creamer died Wednesday at age 90. I interviewed him once about 10 years ago for a historical baseball article, and he was quite gracious. He had a terrific career.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/07/19/robert-creamer-walter-bingham/index.html

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Babe: The Legend Comes to Life" is such a great book. Pretty much set the standard for sports biographies.

And Creamer was great on Ken Burns' "Baseball" miniseries.

RIP.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Go into the SI archives and read his baseball work from the 50s and 60s. He was really good.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

RIP to one of the best writers from the early days of Sports Illustrated.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A fine writer, and a gentleman.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As noted, he was fantastic on Ken Burns' "Baseball." RIP.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This thread needs more than six fucking posts.

http://baseballpastandpresent.com/2012/01/17/interview-robert-creamer/

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I don't know that I would say Creamer set a standard for sports biographies, because there were excellent sports biographies before then. Jim Bronsan's book -his diary of the 1959 season - is a great but forgotten book.

Creamer's book on Babe Ruth is outstanding and is extremely well researched.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, I'd definitely go so far as to say Creamer set the standard. There really wasn't anything like "Babe" before that.

Brosnan's isn't a biography (or even an autobiography); it's a diary.

Otherwise, what decent biographies can we even name before Creamer's?

"Veeck as in Wreck", IMO, is the only one that holds up. (And it really does hold up well.) But that's mostly Bill Veeck being his charming self.

What else?

Al Stump's "Ty Cobb"? Laughably fabricated.
    Arthur Mann's "The Jackie Robinson Story"? Just a film tie-in.
    Taylor Spink's "Judge Landis and Twenty-Five Years of Baseball"? Verbal blow job.
    Bob Considine's "The Babe Ruth Story"? Sugarcoated hero worship.
    Fred Lieb's "Connie Mack: Grand Old Man of Baseball"? More hero worship.
    Any of the mass-produced bios by Milton Shapiro or Albert Hirshberg? Trash.

There just ain't much left after that.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I thought Richard Ben Cramer book on DiMaggio was pretty good and would be in a top 5 discussion.

I haven't read Montville's book on Ted Williams or Howard Bryant on Hank Aaron but I'd imagine they'd up there.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What Buck and I are getting at is that Creamer's Babe book was the first of its kind. There have been many great ones (maybe even better ones) since then, but there weren't many (if any) of its ilk before 1974.

Draft saved Draft deleted