1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Richard Durrett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smash Williams, Jun 17, 2014.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I was in college I lost a dear classmate and friend to an aneurysm. One day he was with us, the next day he wasn't. I imagine Durrett was similar. Just awful.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A benefit concert raised $150,000 for his family.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2014/09/do_it_for_durrett_benefit_billy_bobs_texas_review.php

A lot of local country and pop talent and quite a few Rangers players were there, according to the writeup.

3. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

The event was incredible and it was really a testament to how close people in the press box are. Star-Telegram's Randy Galloway and The Dallas Morning News' Tim Cowlishaw were there (somebody spent $14,000 to bet on horses with Galloway), and MLB.com's longtime baseball writer T.R Sullivan was working the silent auction. Those were just a few of the Dallas media folks out there.

A bunch of former Stars players and Rangers players were there, including Mike Modano and Rangers GM Jon Daniels. I think the last total I heard was $200,000 raised at the event.

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I enjoyed reading his hockey stuff when he covered the Stars. Terrible to hear that happen to a young guy with a young family. My prayers are with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted