1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ray Perkins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Dec 9, 2020.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Stallings was an affable guy who had a well-known United Way commercial at the time with a mentally disabled son.

In narrowing it down to former Junction Boys who became NFL head coaches, the club is Stallings and Jack Pardee. That's it. Both have crossed the river.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Stallings retired to Paris, Texas and was loved there, and yes, his son was loved, too. It was a sad day when his son passed. Equally sad when he left this mortal coil himself.

3. Twirling Time

And as an aside, I must've disturbed the force, because Arkansas State's current coach resigned after seven seasons today.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I did not know the son passed. That is indeed sad.

I've always thought Bear Bryant ought to be used as the Kevin Bacon in the Kevin Bacon Game, football version.

maumann likes this.
  5. Twirling Time

Hank Iba has been used as the basketball version of this numerous times.

3_Octave_Fart and maumann like this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Tucson Citizen columnist Corky Simpson. He had no connection to Alabama, he just thought they had the ability to be the best team.

Liut likes this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Corky is kinda like Bubba.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting some posts above but Gene Stallings is deceased?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

When this thread popped up, I was reminded of Corky. Here’s a piece from the 10th anniversary in 2002.

The faith of Corky Simpson

Liut likes this.
  10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I was on three Pac-10 Skywriter Tours and got to know Corky quite well. And, of course, I saw him a lot at Pac-10 events.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted