1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Randy Walker, Northwestern football coach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by this_guy, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. this_guy

this_guy Guest

Died of an apparent heart attack Thursday night. Say a prayer for the Walker family.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

wow... just saw the ap advisory

rip

wow

3. KP

KP Active Member

Very sad news, even though he used to coach Miami he can still be considered a good guy by this Bobcat.

4. Echo the sentiments here. Was there any sort of history of heart problems/unusual events? Seemed young and in shape.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

R.I.P. Proved there was life after Gary Barnett. A little defense would have helped, but he always had exciting offenses there.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2505033

Randy was at the helm of the greatest college football game I've ever seen in person when Northwestern beat Michigan 55-52 in 2000. I still have a piece of Ryan Field growing somewhere in my parents' backyard.

RIP Randy, and my heart goes out to the Walker family.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

ESPN story said Walker was hospitalized two years ago with myocarditis, a virus that affects lining of the heart. Wonder if there were complications down the way.

Sad. :'(

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wow. The guy *was* young and in pretty good shape.

Second death for Northwestern football in five years.

RIP a good coach and a good man.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I wonder, if maybe Barnett goes back to Evanston, possibly on an interim basis (one-year contact, with mutual option to discuss the future at the end of the season).
    His stay at Colorado ended in nearly-complete disaster, but the culture there is completely different. However he did it, he was the one that raised NW football out of the grave in which it had been lying for 40 years.

And it will be very interesting to see what our favorite Jay Mariotti has to say in regards to Walker. :eek:

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

That was a great game. Damien Anderson dropped a sure TD pass, but then he got a reprieve when the A Train fumbled.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Don't see any way for that to happen.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Didn't Barnett pretty much burn his bridges on his way out of Evanston? I can't remember specifically, but I think there was something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.