1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Print media guides in the ACC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, May 13, 2009.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida_state_seminoles/2009-05-13/story/acc_considers_cost-cutting_measures

In one of the league's cost-cutting moves, media guides will only be available online or with memory sticks using PDFs. That includes all individual sports and league media guides.

I know that, for the most part, I've been looking up information on the Web sites of schools. But there are times when you are in a hurry and are familiar with the print version of the media guide that you can find a fact faster with the print edition.

This move surprises me a bit. I've always thought that schools looked at these things more as a recruiting tool than a media guide.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The idea of media guides on jump drives is gaining a lot of traction.
    It is my understandig there's even technology available that will update stats on there off some data base when you plug it into your computer.
    It wasn't as expensive as you might guess.

I still like the book folded open next to me - but that dinosauric idea is going by the wayside fast.

Plus, it's a lot easier to transport 100 jump drives than it is 100 media guides.

3. SamMalone16

SamMalone16 New Member

I read it as the league is eliminating printed guides. I didn't see where the league was mandating it for individual schools.

4. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

I haven't even bothered picking up the media guides the past couple years as Big Ten teams have them all as PDFs online.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I thought part of doing the media guides was their use in recruiting? Oh well. Can't believe many recruits are swayed by a media guide anyway.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Seriously, sending them the drives might be more impressive these days than giving them the print guides, and I imagine the cost savings are considerable.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

If I'm not mistaken, MLB did the Green and Reed books this year exclusively as PDF/online productions.

Can anyone verify?

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The LPGA went online with its media guide this year. The PGA/Champions/Nationwide tours are doing the same next year.

I like having the hard copy, but then again, whenever I'm doing a release or something, I always end up going online anyway because the information is more up-to-date.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Yes. I downloaded mine a few weeks ago.

10. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

An overdue move IMO

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Now that computers are faster the online PDFS are great. Although many college websites are so cluttered with horse shit and pop up ads that I would rather grab the print guide.

12. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Umm, they will make a guide, they just won't send it out to every darn writer in the FWAA. I can't say that this is a bad idea. I just got my Texas spring guide in the mail a month ago and it cost $5 to send. I am not anywhere near that team or Big 12 football. think how much money in postage and printing they use.

Draft saved Draft deleted