1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Prince

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 21, 2016.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Correct.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Full story, A1, NYT. He was that big.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Your average newspaper reader cares more about Doris Roberts.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Maybe in the NYT. Not necessarily in your average daily. Depending on your other stories of the day, as always.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm not usually one who is affected by cleb deaths. But this one really is shocking and sad to me. Just lots of great times with great friends listing to Prince in high school and college.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it was designed to be hit or miss. He took chances.

Doc Holliday and Lugnuts like this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd lost track of his career over the last 10 years or so - he'd become the ultimate "fuck you, I'll do what I want" artist, but man, what a five-tool talent: great singer, songwriter, performer, musician and band leader...and fuck could he play guitar...he made loads of great songs but to me his best moment was "I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man" from Sign O' The Times.

Armchair_QB and Lugnuts like this.
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It sounds weird to say because Prince was so pop too, but he appealed more to teenagers for the rebel angle. Parents intensely disliked Prince at that time. (Masturbation songs will do that to you, or did in the mid-'80s.) But parents grew up with Michael so they liked him. Lots more bad-boy in Prince.

Doc Holliday and Lugnuts like this.
  10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Michael was bigger than Elvis because his music crossed over and he was a hit in other countries. Elvis didn't fly overseas because of the Colonel.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

they're playing at jazzfest in new orleans tomorrow

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted