1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Phil Niekro

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Dec 27, 2020.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Led the majors in losses.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I was at his 300th....Jays had won the AL East for the first time ever the day before. The only regular was Tony Fernandez, and Niekro beat them 8-0.

He didn't throw a knuckleball until the final hitter (Jeff Burroughs) to prove he could do it. Niekro later said he'd told Billy Martin earlier in the year he wanted to try, and Martin told him, "Wait until a game that doesn't matter."

That weekend, I had tickets to two of the three games in the series. They lost both, and won the division in the game I didn't go to. Total loserville.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Uplate umpire for a game in which he and Joe were coaching the Silver Bullets in their inaugural season. 5000 plus in the stands in Jacksonville. One of my top umpiring memories

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was watching the Friday night game in the local pub, everyone was pumped to see them clinch until Butch Wynegar went deep off Tom Henke with two outs in the ninth. The Ex was packed that night as I recall and probably really cold by the time the game ended.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Lloyd Moseby dropped a fly ball -- that allowed the Yankees to score the winning. I was in the left-centre bleachers. Happened right in front of me

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7 Hall of Famers total is the most to die in a year

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

His wife went to my high school, so he must have spent time in Santa Monica at some point.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Rickey stole his 80th base in that game, nobody has stolen that many in a season since Rickey had 93 in 1988. His 80 steals in 1985 were second behind Vince Coleman who had 110.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bob Ryan reminds us on Twitter that Niekro and John Havlicek were teammates and best friends on their high school basketball team.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I was always amused when Phil Niekro, especially after turning 40 with a head of white hair, fanned batters half his age who could launch the typical 95 mph fastball where it could be detected by airport radar.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

A true legend

Draft saved Draft deleted