1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Phil Hill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hill, 81, the only American-born Formula 1 champion, died today due to complications of Parkinson's Disease.

http://www.latimes.com/la-me-hill29-2008aug29,0,2922168.story

:( :'(

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Very sad day for open-wheel racing here.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Whenever I would call his house to ask him something, his wife would say, "He's at the shop, you better call him there." He was always at his shop.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Aw, hell. Very sad news. I believe they mentioned he was ailing during the Valencia GP broadcast, but I didn't realize it was that serious.

When I was in college I lived next to a woman who owned a cat named Phil. When she told me it was named after Phil Hill I concluded I had the coolest neighbor on earth.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP to Phil Hill. He was also the camera car driver in the movie Grand Prix, I think. Greatest racing movie ever made, even with the schlocky Eve Marie Saint parts.

Racing was a helluva lot different when Hill drove. Those guys were truly a different breed knowing they risked far, FAR more than today's drivers do.

Draft saved Draft deleted