1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Peter O'Toole

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Dec 15, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent call. He was outstanding in that one.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Check out The Night of the Generals. O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Donald Pleasence, Christopher Plummer and Tom Courtenay.Murder mystery set during WWII and after.

Lion in Winter with Katherine Hepburn and Anthony Hopkins. O'Toole as Henry II is, as they said, worth the price of admission but Hepburn is at her best, too.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

My Favorite Year and Lawrence of Arabia are two of my favorites. I'll have to check out The Stunt Man.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen Lion in Winter, but it's been a long time. Never saw Night of the Generals.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Had a hell of a line in My Favorite Year: "I not an actor ... I'm a movie star!"

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Best thing I ever saw him in, besides Lawrence of Arabia, was a quirky WWII movie called Murphy's War. He plays the only survivor of a British merchant ship that was torpedoed (and the crew machine-gunned) near the coast of South America by a German U-boat whose commander is looking to hide out until the imminent end of the war. Murphy's thirst for revenge is the war referred to in the title. Very, very underrated movie.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

It was his time. He had a good life and a great career. Besides, that bastard Fassbender was taking all his roles.

I will always enjoy his performance in "Supergirl," especially how he kept a straight face while asking Helen Slater if she would like a squirt.

(And if you don't get the joke, try YouTube. I won't ask you to partake in the horror of watching "Supergirl" in its entirety. I'm not that much of a dick.)

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I, too, enjoyed O'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia. Great flick with great acting throughout.
    RIP Peter O'Toole … I'm getting old.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

The Stunt Man is absolute greatness.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I will throw out for your consideration two of his performances that could not be more different, Rogue Male (1977, made for TV) and Venus (2006).

Oh, hell you know what I really want to say is King Ralph (1991).

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My fave O'Toole picture of them all.

Draft saved Draft deleted