1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pedro Gomez

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 7, 2021.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I remember Gomez from the Bonds HR chase. Having to cover the guy for that long and his demeanor never changed.

Also, that Howard Bryant thread shows what a jerk LaRussa is, which is unfortunately SOP for MLB.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

True on all counts. I was in LaRussa's office in a ballpark that no longer exists when he picked up a stapler and threw it at the wall. I think he was aiming for the wall rather than at me. It sounds like Pedro Gomez would have defended me if that had been necessary.

goalmouth likes this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“That’s a Swingline 747, an American classic, show some goddamn respect.” - Me right before Tony LaRussa would’ve murdered me with his bare hands

Batman, heyabbott and tapintoamerica like this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Figured LaRussa would have called someone else in to throw the thing.

heyabbott and Hermes like this.
  6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Bet that stapler was juiced all to hell, and LaRussa didn't, uh, know...

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He probably missed the wall too. As I remember, as a player, Tony LaRussa couldn't hit anything.

I always love what Jim Palmer said to Earl Weaver, that the only thing Weaver knew about pitching was, he couldn't hit it.

Dog8Cats and Splendid Splinter like this.
  9. swingline

I think that’s pretty universal. Supposedly that’s what Gibson told McCarver.

Liut likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Well McCarver was a .271 lifetime hitter and hit .320 at 35 years of age. Obviously Gibson was just busting his chops because TM could hit a little bit.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Now I have this image in my head of LaRussa tapping his left arm to call someone in from the PR department.

12. swingline

And then a righty to throw the next stapler.

Batman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted