1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pedro Gomez

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 7, 2021.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Damn it's dusty in here.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wow, that’s awful. Unexpected death at age 58. Yeesh. I admit I’m curious what the hell happened. I didn’t know him, but I enjoyed his work. RIP

3. HanSenSE

Must ... stop ... reading ... teh ... Twitterez.

4. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Way to young. Was nothing but friendly to me the few times we interacted with each other.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The clip with SVP is coincidental to what I'm watching with S4 of Wiseguy and the Cuban-American Dream. This episode opened with 2 powerful and parallel scenes, first with the Haitian refugees reaching the shores of America followed by the father-son Cuban baseball moment ... with a black catcher thrown in for good measure.

I always liked Pedro and his work.

58? Covid?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know Pedro Gomez, but that thread gave me a sense of him as a person. This to me was an example of where twitter can shine.

7. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

This was unnecessary.

cjericho likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sticking up for a young scribe while telling Tony LaRussa off is as good as it gets for me. RIP, Pedro.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

From Derrick Goold's chat today:

"Baseball is less today. There's a hole. There's heartbreak.

A great storyteller, and a greater person. You have probably seen the outpouring of compliments and grief from his peers. Not too long ago, as I had those drives all around the country from city to city Cardinals series to series, Pedro was one of the baseball writers who would call to help me pass the time. We swapped stories about TLR as I drove through Arkansas. When I was a young baseball writer, there were plenty of people telling me how I couldn't be one, wouldn't last as one, didn't belong as one, had no place in the press box, and so on, and then there were people like Pedro who told me why I could be a baseball writer, why it was worth chasing and trying, and how to do it.

And I'm not alone. One of the reason Pedro means so so much to baseball writers is because so many of us can point to the person he mentored, the moment he stood up, the story he told -- the way he contributed to each of us, and our friends.

He was one of the 13 reporters to go to Havana and Cuba in December 2015 on what MLB called a "goodwill" tour. It was an emotional trip for him, and still he was there to help many of us, give us background, negotiate what we could not. As you can imagine, the Wi-Fi was tricky but we knew of a hotel that had a floor with a strong single. With Pedro in the lead, we found a way to create a bureau setup in that floor -- like a newsroom. Were we could all work and trust that we could file our stories, or send back photos.

Our flight out of Havana was delayed by hours -- and it was unclear if it would ever come that day, honestly -- and while we waited Pedro and I spoke about the trip, what it meant to us, what it meant to him (his parents left Cuba shortly before he was born), and what it meant for the future."

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

11. HanSenSE

Couple of reactions from Northern California where, as you can imagine, everyone who worked with him when he was covering the A's for the Sacramento Bee and Mercury-News are devastated.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted