1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Harvey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by buckweaver, Feb 28, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: And now we know ... the rest of his story (RIP Paul Harvey)

Put it this way, Evil:

Some people are convinced that Paul Harvey didn't always tell us ... The Rest of the Story. There may be validity to that claim.

www.fair.org/index.php?page=1394

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

One of the great ones has moved on to the great above.

A great example of a guy who made a place for himself in the industry with hard work.

Hey Paul. . .

Goooooooood. Day.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

As much as I love old-time radio formats and styles, I never liked Harvey. RIP and God bless, but the airwaves are no poorer.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hello, Americans, Paul Harvey here. Did you know every good American is at heart an erotic American? It's true. A famous couple -- I don't need to tell you it was Dwight and Mamie Eisenhower -- offered *this* advice: "Double your pleasure with a bath...together!"

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Basically conservative, but not a wingnut. But that's beside the point: an iconic voice on the James Earl Jones level, and kept you riveted to whatever tale he was telling. And what I liked most: he compacted a lot of meaning into few words. RIP

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

RIP Mr. Harvey;

I spent many a day listening to your news and comment.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

They've been paying tribute all night on WGN 720 in Chicago, which was his affiliate in his home town. Amazing how wide the age range of callers is, from 25 on up.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

He was a journalism icon, and while his show in recent years was not what it once was, I'd still listen to "The Rest of the Story" because he always made the backstory interesting.

I know a lot of large stations stopped carrying him because his actual appearances were becoming too infrequent. I'd assume with his passing, his show would go as well -- maybe Fred Dalton Thompson could take it over full-time, but I'd doubt it'd have the same attraction.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Paul's piece always came on at High Noon when I was growing up. If the radio was tuned to his station, I'd almost always stop what I was doing and listen to The rest....

May he rest in peace.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That sucks. One of the iconic voices that will live forever.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP. A true icon. A voice that I somehow associate with my youth because he was ubiquitous on radio in the 1970s.

Draft saved Draft deleted