1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Paul Arizin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 13, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

One of the greats of the early NBA dead at 78.
    A Philly guy all the way and probably the first great jump shooter.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-obit-arizin&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I ran this today. RIP.

I know this probably belongs on the journalism board, but do many of you fret over the lack of recognition when it comes to obits?

I told several people today that we had to run the Arizin obit and they were like, who? The danger being that someone even more prominent is going to die and not make the paper sometime because of some people's ignorance of history.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Could have been worse; they could have misunderstood and started looking for file art from The Birdcage.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Lots of RIP threads today. Never a good thing.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hunt, Boyle and Arizin.

Always happens in threes. Never fails.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Obits are a tough thing in sports.

1. The person is probably old, which means the youngsters on the staff have little or no recognition.

2. Of you want to run a full obit, space has to be taken away from elsewhere, since, of course, you do not plan space for obits.

3. Unless the circumstances were strange, other than "Joe Athlete died" there really isn't anything new to report. Just one sentence about the death, and then everything else is just rehashing all he did (usually) many years ago.

Put all that together, and unless the guy is truly a legend, it will tend to get underplayed in the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted