1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pat Quinn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rainman, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/pat-quinn-dead-71-toronto-maple-leafs-vancouver-canucks-atlanta-flames-nhl-edmonton-oilers/

I'll always remember how happy he looked coaching the Canadian World Junior Team. Like being around those kids reminded him why he loved coaching. Big smiles during the medal ceremony, all the hugs he was getting..

That's a great lasting memory.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Coached the Kings during their annual romp toward 4th place, though he turned 'em around (by and large) in his first full season (34 wins, 82 points).

After the expulsion from the league he attended Delaware, then San Diego, to get his law degree.

http://kings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=40983

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Before that he coached a Canadian under-18 team to a gold medal at the worlds. Lot of people wondered what Hockey Canada was thinking putting a guy with a reputation of having little use for young players in the NHL in charge of those teams, the results showed that Hockey Canada knew what it was doing. Cody Hodgson, who played on both of those teams, told me Quinn was so calm behind the bench, nothing they'd run in top in those tournies could possibly faze him and he passed that on to the players.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OMG! I thought you meant the Illinois Governor.

Can we get an edit to the headline to make it clear?

LOL.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I had no idea he was sick, although the release cited 'a lengthy illness.' A hockey man if there ever was one.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Some mention was made of an illness when he didn't come to the Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremony last week.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

RIP to a hockey legend and someone who always, always struck me as a pro's pro.

First recollection is of him winding down with the Flames, then coaching the Flyers. Of course, there's the 1994 Final but when I think of his time in Vancouver something else quickly comes to mind - how his tenure ended due to the clownish puck bags known as Orca Bay.

Sad news.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That Quinn could still get shanked, if he's not out yet.

(I know, it's just a matter of time.)

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Refresh my memory. Why was he expelled?

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Exactly this. RIP.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's in the link, Baron.

12. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

RIP to two legendary hockey coaches.
    Viktor Tikhonov died today.
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/11929044/viktor-tikhonov-soviet-hockey-coach-dies-84

Draft saved Draft deleted