1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Pat Conroy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Prince of Tides is a wonderful book that has its rep muddled by Streisand's ego-driven decision to think the film should be entirely about Wingo and Lowenstien's relationship, not the Wingo family. Conroy overwrote like no one else, but he was wonderful in huge unapologetic bursts. The football scene in POT where he takes two kicks back against Clemson is one of my favorite sports scenes in any novel.

Riptide likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Beach Music" was one long love letter to his beloved tidal flats. Man, I miss this guy already.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Loved "The Great Santini" the first time I read it. Alpha dogs rule!

Didn't love it quite as much the second time, when I realized it was a horror story.

I probably couldn't read it again, but it was a hell of a tale.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The movie is spectacular.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The two flashback sections in Beach Music were fantastic and makes one wonder what he could have done had he set some of his work away from his comfort zones.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I always watch "Conrack" when it comes on one of the cheap-movie channels.

8. Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Finishing the Death of Santini ... What a fucked up family ...His relationship and interactions with his sister.
    It's a good read, fascinating. Yeah, he overwrites and sure loves the word "rearguard," but very enjoyable. Having read this I have no desire to go back and read POT or Santini. I may try Lords of Discipline, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted