1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, NYC horse-drawn carriage rides

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 31, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

New mayor says GTFO:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/dailypolitics/2013/12/bill-de-blasio-on-horse-drawn-carriage-industry-its-over

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm guessing this will mean the horses will be put down.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The mayor once took a carriage ride with some numbnut who'd been feeding his horse beef-a-reeno. It's been a vendetta ever since.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If De Blasio fails as mayor, he"ll be the last liberal mayor of a metropolitan city for the next 50 years.
    Giuliani, for whom I have no love, was successful on his terms. He pretty much accomplished his goals, broadly speaking. But for 9-11 he would have been thought of as a divisive mayor who increased property values, lowered crime and made New York City, particularly Manhattan, a great place to live and visit, if you could afford it. His 'gentrification' of Manhattan allowed Brooklyn to be reborn into a community worth living and working. Giuliani rode 9-11 too hard for his legacy and he comes off cheap and exploitative now. But I remember on 9-11 when Bush & Cheney couldn't be found, hiding in their dark bunkers, Rudy was the one official who went out to reassure the public, not just New York, but the country, that things were being handled.

I love Bloomberg. Not every policy, not every action and not every pose struck me as appropriate or fair, but he was a great mayor. He also succeeded on his terms. He couldn't be bought or bribed and he didn't need your campaign contributions so any deal he made was policy driven or pure politics (support this for my support on that). Another 4 years and parts of Staten Island would begin to resemble Westchester or part of Northern New Jersey, wealthy bedroom communities of NYC as opposed to middle middle class Staten Island.

De Blasio is going to be the most liberal local politician west of Jerry Brown and he doesn't have the reputation or character to back it up.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's good to see a mayor finally cracking down on the real shit that faces a city.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This all dates back to the Beef-A-Reeno incident of 1996.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

RUSTY!!!

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Death of a Carriage Horse

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Some good work there, folks.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I feel like DiBlasio is a white David Dinkins.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They're going to play John Lennon's Imagine at tomorrow's swearing in.

I'm not sure if that's because de Blasio is a Godless communist, or simply because his mom will be in the audience.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted