1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Neil Sheehan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by garrow, Jan 7, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Another legend gone.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sad news. In the relatively recent Kenneth Burns documentary on the Vietnam War, Sheehan gave some good first-hand accounts of covering the war, in its early days. And his work regarding the Pentagon Papers helped finally end that war.

RIP.

garrow and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

"Bright Shining Lie" is a must read.

Huggy and garrow like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What a career. To break the Pentagon Papers before you are 35? How do you follow that up? I realize he was badly injured in a car crash a few years later and his recuperation was long, but damn. RIP.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have his book that's an early Cold War history built around the life of the Air Force general who became head of the land-based missile program. Great read if not as dramatic as Bright Shining Lie.

6. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Every bit as great as Woodward and Bernstein, even if people don’t know his name.

Liut, Neutral Corner and garrow like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sheehan had refused to say for years how he got the papers from Ellsberg. In 2015, he finally agreed to talk as long as the Times did not publish until after his death. A heckuva read, and even back then, a reporter had a scoop and decided to withhold it from his paper so he could write a book.

Now It Can Be Told: How Neil Sheehan Got the Pentagon Papers

8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The Pentagon Papers was an important story. Absolutely. But Neil's disclosure that he hid his intention from Ellsberg and made copies behind his back rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure the industry was a different world back then, but I can't imagine doing something like that now.

Draft saved Draft deleted