1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP my binoculars ... any tips?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My one and only set of binos I bought 15 years ago has given up the ghost. The lens popped out of the left eye and it screws in from the inside, and I have no way of figuring out how to screw it back in.

So my old binoculars are now a monocular. ;)

Anyone recommend a good brand of binos? I'm going by the sporting goods store tomorrow.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ask these guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

It depends on how much you want to spend and whether you want a compact or regular-sized model.

I would recommend a regular-sized binocular unless you want to spend $1,000 or more on European glass in a compact size.

Some good regular-sized models are the Nikon Monarch 8x36 DCF, Pentax 8x36 DCF, Bushnell 8x42 Trophy Binocular and the Alpen Apex 8x42.

You're looking at a few hundred to $500 in those models. If you want to spend more consider the European-made Leica, Swarovski or Kahles brands, or the higher-priced models of the Nikon, Pentax, Bushnell or Alpen line.

The outdoors outfitters, Cabela's and Bass Pro, have branded binoculars made by these companies. Cabela's Pine Ridge and Euro models are reliable.

Draft saved Draft deleted