1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mindy McCready

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Feb 17, 2013.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The balloon guy's son, right?

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Awesome.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Now I'm curious.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, that's an exaggeration. But she didn't go to church at all growing up. Not sure she ever set foot in one, to be honest. She knew/knows the gist: Son of God. Rose from the dead. Born on Christmas. And she can recognize a few Biblical characters very broadly: Adam and Eve. Maybe Noah. Maybe. But it was pretty funny how lacking her knowledge of the stories we all grew up with was - and still is, mostly.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'd watch "Hondo's Celebrity Rehab," in which he yells at everyone to "get better," and then demands, as proof of cure, they say Jacksonville Jaguars fans are the NFL's greatest.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

TPIWWOP[/crossthread]

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Zero sympathy becomes negative.

She shot her dog first.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/country-star-mindy-mccready-shoots-herself-on-porch-where-boyfriend-died-a-month-ago-8499661.html

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

agree.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

This shows you how much I follow country.... I had not heard of her until now, at the time of her death. RIP.

But -- I had to snicker a little at this portion of the AP obit I saw this morning:

"In May 2010, she was hospitalized briefly after police responded to an overdose call at a home in North Fort Myers, Fla., owned by her mother. This followed a stint on "Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew," where she declared herself to be clean from drugs. She is the fifth celebrity appearing on that show to have died."

I don't mean to thread-jack here, and I, in no way was snickering at her needing the counseling, but somehow, this sad situation adds to proving my contention about Dr. Drew being absolutely worthless, having seen him a number of times. If five of your patients commit suicide, either they are beyond hope and help, you're a inept therapist, or both. Go back into practicing without media attention, Dr. Drew. That may be the only way you will help anybody, possibly including yourself.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How many addicts have died without appearing on Dr. Drew's show?

With addiction -- and he's dealing with long term, hard-core addicts -- every success should be celebrated. "Failures" should not be looked upon as a black mark against a therapist.

11. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I think Dr. Drew is more about ratings than anything else.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Amen.
    Any of these professionals putting themselves on the air are either not finding their niche professionally or simply prioritize with fame being before helping others. You can't have therapy mixed with TV cameras and directors. Ain't no way in hell you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted