1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Wallace

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

At one of my small-town paper stops, Wallace came in to do a story on something (I don't remember what it was), but I do remember the buzz in the whole town when he came in.

RIP to an incredible journalist.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Could we get a redirect on the journalism board? I'm with SF Express on this one.

Mike Wallace was a celebrity but only because he was an amazing, amazing journalist.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Start a thread over there - start a discussion about his journalism highlights

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ah, the irony ... the first "60 Minutes" after his death will be seen in its entirity after the Masters, except on the West Coast, where it will be seen at its usual time.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

A nice tribute at the open by Morley Safer, who said an extended tribute will air next week. Understandable given the news of Wallace's death broke, appropriately enough, on a Sunday.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to a legend.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Wallace, Hewitt, Reasoner, Bradley, and Rooney. The first three were the originals when 60 Minutes started, then Reasoner went to ABC and then came back.

Mike Wallace, to a non-journo such as myself, was a badass and showed how to do investigative reporting, feature reporting, and cutting through the bullshit in interviews.

He's also one of the first (correct me if I'm wrong) along with Norman Mailer to come out publicly about depression and the toll it takes on individuals.

Mike, may you, Don, Ed, Harry, and of course Andy, keep that heavenly stopwatch clicking upstairs.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That ticking clock is one of my earliest TV memories after watching football with my father. I couldn't understand what the show was, and why they had the clock ticking on there.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Mike Wallace's best work:

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nice tribute to his dad from Chris Wallace today on Fox News Sunday.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This 60 Minutes tribute is going to be epic. The intro is already.

Draft saved Draft deleted