1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Penner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There's not many worse feelings than feeling like you don't belong.

RIP.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

So sad. I hope his family was close to him and supported him during his transitional period, etc., so he had some periods of peace the past few years. I hope he wasn't in living hell all the time. Sounds like his newspaper friends were very supportive. Rest in peace. Prayers for all.

3. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Just heartbreaking. RIP.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Never met Mike, but read him a lot while growing up and living in SoCal. Always enjoyed his writing, and have always heard good things about him.

RIP.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

A tragedy. I never knew him, but I rooted for him ever since he adopted the Christine Daniels ID.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

A talented and tortured person. May he rest in peace.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

TigerVols said it best. Hopefully Mike has finally found peace. RIP.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This.

Just a heartbreaking story. Can't even imagine the mental anguish he had to live with. RIP Mike.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

God, he must have lived a tormented life. That is so sad. So very sad.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Amen, may he rest in peace.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, God...

Oh, Mike...no...

For some reason I can't pinpoint, I'd actually been thinking of Mike lately, wondering how he was doing and thinking maybe I should email or call him. Now, I wish I had done it, and I'm sorry that I didn't.

Mike was a good and gentle person, a fantastic writer and someone with more courage than most of us could ever muster, or would ever be called upon to demonstrate.

With his special combination of talent and bravery, Mike shared more of himself than others probably had any right to expect to see.

RIP, Mike.

And, many thoughts and prayers going out to his whole family and others at the Times, especially Lisa Dillman and John Penner.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

no words. just silent prayers. and many, many tears. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted