1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Douglas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 11, 2006.

1. part-timer

part-timer Member

I know Ryan knocked his son out. Don't know how he'd match up against Tatum these days...

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually, I think John and Yoko were co-hosts---for a week.

If you think about that, those appearances probably represent 80+% of the public's opportunity to see Lennon during the 70s.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, indeed. talk about strange bedfellows.

patti smith was a guest and almost had a heart attack when she sat and talked with mike, talking about how her grandma back in jersey never missed a show. surreal stuff. she was beside herself. :eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Can they get that guy to do the eulogy?

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's what popped into my head when I thought of Mason Reece: the Underwood Deviled Ham kid (who I believe was the co-host that week for some reason) losing it when Harry sang "Cat's In the Cradle".

Didn't Mike used to have Rodney Allan Rippy on too or am I confusing him with someone else?

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn. :'(

I never had the privilege to watch his shows, but hearing so much about him growing up, made me appreciate good shows like his.

He deserves more a little more pub today on television. Not that the major stories of the day are unimportant, but Mike was Americana t.v. to us.

RIP good sir.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yes, and that's one of my 3 favorite episodes. Made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My Mike Douglas story...

Growing up in SoCal, ocassionally my class would get to go to a taping of a TV show as a reward for something like good attendance. One year we went to the Mike Douglas Show.

We don't know who the guests are until they do the opening of the show and they say "Today's guests... Wonder Woman Lynda Carter... and comedy legend Bob Hope!" People go nuts - we can't believe we're going to see Bob Hope in person.

So the show starts, and they do a couple of segments with Lynda Carter. Then they toss to the break and say "Coming up next... Bob Hope!"

As the next segment is about to start Mike tells us "Oh, by the way, I taped that Bob Hope interview last week. We'll be adding it in later."

9. Anyone else think was a stretch his death was mentioned on Sportscenter?
    "He was a Eagles fan, was ill because he got dehydrated on a golf course and introduced the world to a two-year-old Eldrick Woods."

Seemed like a stretch to me.

10. boots

boots New Member

It was a stretch but Miike Douglas for those who are old enough to remember, was a talk show king who never really got his just due. He loved Philly. Philly loved him even after he moved to LA.
    RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted