1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mike Douglas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 11, 2006.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Mike was always part of my Mom's afternoon routine (we watched on KYW then also, part-timer), then I think Merv was on right after that.

All I remember was I think he had lots of asterisks on his set.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tiger Woods owes him.

RIP

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Mike Douglas was camp. He was also ahead of his time.

RIP.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

my grandmother loved mike. even when he had patti smith and john and yoko on. what a trip.

r.i.p., mike.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

At his funeral Mass, will the priest hold up a co-host symbolizing Mike's body?

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Somewhere Mason Reece mourns.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Let's see if Tiger shows a little ... something... and puts a tiny memoriam to Mike on the bag at Medinah.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Mike even had a hit record called "The Man In My Little Girl's Life," I think. It may not have been my cup of tea but it was a hit. Mike gave a lot of people a break, a daytime show that most all of show biz folks watched. (And if you confuse Mike with Merv Griffin, you're just a child.)

RIP, Mike.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Mike and Merv were both a little before my time. My childhood was during the Gary Collins/Hour Magazine days (that and the Bob Braun Show, but I think that was just a regional thing).

Still, Mike Douglas was a legend. RIP

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

You have to sit through a minute or two of other things, but this has a classic Mike Douglas moment -- Milton Berle vs. Richard Pryor:

http://www.redceleb.com/view.php?id=299

Remember how every week or so he used to have this guy who would come on at the end of the show and improvise lyrics describing what had happened that episode? Everyone acted like it was the most amazing feat ever, but it usually was on the level of "And then we all sat down with Sandy Duncan / I have to say that she's a cute little pumpkin...."

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Mason Reece is a heckuva get. Great TV moment: Ugly kid's meltdown on Harry Chapin. Some redheaded stepchild having crisis of conscience on camera.

Great MD sports moment: Ryan O'Neal sparring with Joe Frazier. O'Neal = For Real. An excellent fighter, no doubt could have been a pro.

YHS, etc

12. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Say hi to Earl, Jimmy Stewart and Bob Hope for us.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted