1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Michael O'Neill, former NYDN editor

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, May 31, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

RIP. It is a little jarring to see that a blue-collar tabloid editor's memorial service will be at a yacht club. Of course, I have a 1974 Almanac and the DN's circ is listed as just below 2.1 million daily and just below 3 million on Sunday. (Current circ: 579,636, 660,918.) So I suppose they paid him yacht money to run something that huge. By his last year as editor, though, the paper was in such bad shape financially that Tribune Co. put it up for sale. It didn't happen, but the apparent buyer was Dean Singleton's cut-and-burn mentor, Joe Allbritton. A decade later, they dumped the paper on Robert Maxwell, who apparently fell overboard from his yacht and died.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Maxwell slipped down to a waiting submarine, with Elvis, Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

R.I.P., MR. O'NEILL... AND THANK YOU.

i swear i was thinking about mike just the other day when someone asked my about my early years in newspaperdom... i was lucky enough out as a copyboy in nov, '78 and worked primariy night shifts 'on the bench' unil being promoted to 'junior reporterr in july '80, when the short-lived 'tonight' edition was born...

at any rate, i only got to know o'neill a couple of months before being promoted. i was replacing the copyboy who was his usual driver at 7 a.m. i'd take one of the dn's newest cars from their manhattan garage, drive out tohis westhcester,and drive his 14-year-old to her high school and go on to drive mike and his wife into manhattan. everyone was quite friendly and put me right at ease. and when my two weeks of chaufferring gig was ending. on or final drive me. o'neill asked me, 'so, shockey, what was your last name again. i'm pretty sure your one of five copyboys/girls i just approved for promotions next month...'

certainly onr of the best days of my life... i know the dn circulation nosedived during the o'neill years but it was mostly a case of bad timing for him -- his reign began just as the biz was beginning to die. but he was considered by the staff to be a terrific newspaperman and class act.

obviously i's greatly biased, but you'll never get any other idea from me. only the best of thoughts and remembrances from me...

a sad day in my tiny world...

Draft saved Draft deleted