1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Michael Crichton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Better than Tom Clancy? Ted Geisel?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'd be remiss here if I didn't offer a farewell to Mr. Crichton. Whatever one thought of his writing, he was an undeniable bestseller. Which means a great deal to me personally - because we wrote for the same publisher. The millions he brings in for them allows them to gamble on the hundreds of little literary fry like me.

For every Crichton - or Collins or Grisham or Clancy - there are scores of young novelists and poets and essayists who owe their modest advances, and their careers, to Crichton's blockbuster successes.

So, even though his latest hardcover was always crowding the rest of us out of the display cases down in the lobby, I say thank you Michael, may you find a writer's rest.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Wow. Had no idea he was sick. RIP. There's a bunch of his books I want to read. Have read most of his early stuff, but havent read anything of his after Airframe.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Good career move.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've read just about all of his books, but I have to give him props for the movie "Looker," for which Susan Dey removed her clothes.

RIP

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tom Clancy is a hack, albeit a rich one. His sentences are the literary version of Chinese water torture

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But just the same Ted Geisel has strung together some of the finest sentences written.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

FWIW, Crichton was one of the great debunkers of climate change out there.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Before we veer into a climate-change threadjack, I'll make note that my favorite of his books is one of his most forgotten -- The Great Train Robbery. (To be sure, I've only read a handful of his books.)

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Totally forgot about that one ... the Connery/Sutherland movie based on his book is one of my favorites.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

the one he did that was anti=global warming was a big pile of steaming dog crap. debunk that!

12. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Ah hell, here we go. A thread about an author dying is about to turn into a global warming debate. Only on the Internet.

Draft saved Draft deleted