1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Michael Colley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Mods, feel free to move this to JTO if you think it fits better there.

Michael Colley was the football and men's lacrosse SID at the University of Virginia. Michael is probably my favorite SID that I've worked with in my young career. He had a heart attack Saturday while vacationing with friends.

Michael was a true professional with a wicked sense of humor. He was genuinely happy with his job and at the University. This is a tremendous loss and a sad day for UVa.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Terrible news. How old was Colley? Ballpark?

Anyone whose job was dealing with Al Groh was sainted on earth. RIP, Michael.

3. Big Circus

Mid-to-late 40s, by my estimation.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Damn. Damn. Damn.

Here's his bio from the U.Va. site. He was a C'ville native and had worked there for 18 years.

http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=3738364

5. Big Circus

Thanks for the link, IJAG. Michael just seemed like one of those people who was doing what he was born to do. Any press box or sideline was more fun when he was there.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Wow. I found Michael to be incredibly helpful in my dealings with him in recent years. This is a shock.

Thoughts are with the family.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Very sad story. A wake-up-call for all of us in our 40s.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've known Mike many, many years and always enjoyed dealing with him. This news has me in tears.

Mike's parents were entered in a re-do your backyard contest some radio station sponsored. Mike got in touch with a bunch of his friends, encouraging us to go online and vote for his folks. So I did. They won. He promised all of us the party of all parties. So we started ragging his ass to throw that party.

RIP to a great guy.

ps - and I never know for sure which board is best for these types of things. Probably journalism but it is news, too.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Total punch to the gut. Such sad news. RIP.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

11. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Honestly, when I first started covering the U.Va. football beat, it took me a while to acclimate myself to Mike's dry wit. I didn't "get him" at first, but as time went on, I grew to appreciate him as a funny, funny guy who could take as good as he gave while also managing to epitomize the word professional.

He helped me countless times with rounding up players who had one way or another managed to avoid coming to media availability, even though he could've just taken the easy road and made some lame excuse why they were unavailable. His efforts made covering the early Groh years, with the whole "one voice" BS, as manageable as humanly possible.

RIP to one of the truly great ones in this God-forsaken business. :(

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From U.Va.'s Web site:

http://www.virginiasports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=204759607

Draft saved Draft deleted