1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Merlin Olsen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Trouser_Buddah, Mar 11, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

and snowing

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't recall anything ever negative surrounding Merlin Olsen. Not only was he a truly great college and pro football player, he earned his masters in economics while still in the NFL and had a very full career post football. For all I know, he could have been no different than today's players and his off the field activities not reported as they would be now, but ... assuming he truly was the same guy in private as public, every professional rookie athlete should be required to read up on him.

3. bevo

bevo Member

Didn't really look at NBC's web site myself but a friend said there was no presence of his death on the front page. Could it be because he sued NBC over asbestos...and seeing that he died from it.

4. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

The 70's Rams defences also had "Hacksaw" Reynolds and Isiah Robertson backing up that great front four. They were both outstanding but I've never seen or heard any discussion about Reynold's greatness, unfortunate since I consider him a borderline HOF'er, much like Bill Bergey. Reynolds was better over a longer period but Bergey was the best in the business for about 4 years.

Back to Merlin, I still remember him dominating the line of scrimmage while the play unfolded, always ready for a draw, rarely out of position while Jones/Lundy and later Youngblood/Dryer did their thing. No team ran consistently well against the Rams.

The more I have read about Merlin the more I realize what a tremendous human being he was.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great SI story on Olsen from 1981.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124138/4/index.htm

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The 1990-91 Eagles were awesome. Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Clyde Simmons and then Mike Pitts and Mike Golic (both very good players at the time, although maybe not Pro Bowl-caliber) rotating at that other DT spot.
    That defense was so good in 1991 that they led the league in run, pass and total defense and went 10-6 despite using five quarterbacks and having the handicap of being coached by Rich Kotite.
    If Randall Cunningham hadn't gotten hurt, there's no doubt in my mind they would've won the Super Bowl. For Eagles fans, it's the title that got away.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Not to threadjack, but wasn't Robertson the Ram who got ran over by Earl Campbell. I may be way wrong, and If I am, I apologize. But I do know Conrad Dobler painted him in a bad light in his bio back in the early 1990s...said Robertson was an ego maniac, who would have friends call him at restaurants just so he could be paged over the intercom and people would say "hey, it's Butch Robertson." Also, told a story of how Robertson cheated at golf.

8. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I believe you are correct, it was Robertson but he was All-Pro 6 out of 7 years in the early 70's, and Earl ran over everybody! It seems the Rams got beat in big games on a one off play by the opposition that they couldn't or didn't recover from due to their conservative, run driven offence.

Sported one of the great uniforms in NFL history. Wish they would move back to LA.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tampa had a great dline when they won it.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Page, Eller, Marshall and Larson(?); That was an amazing dline.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

On NFL Network right now: Olsen and Dick Stockton calling a Falcons-Cowboys game in 1991.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So true. And gosh, Jerome Brown has been gone for 18 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted