1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Marshall Johnson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lynn Burke, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Lynn Burke

Lynn Burke Member

I'll step out from behind my usual screen name for a minute to pass along news that Marshall Johnson, retired Virginia AP sports editor, died last night from complication of pneumonia.

Marshall was in his early 90s and, in retirement, continued to be the prep guru in Virginia. His detailed "best of" lists were a great resource for prep writers.

He was a fixture at state basketball tournaments, stringing for AP. Because the Virginia High School League named its sportsmanship award the Marshall Johnson Award, he was on the court for the trophy presentations and, notepad in hand, interviewed the winning coach before any of us other ink-stained wretches has a chance ... and no one complained.

The Virginia High School Coaches Association also named its media award after Marshall. I was honored to receive that award a few years ago from Marshall himself. A highlight of my career, no doubt.

He will be missed.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Damn. RIP. one of the best. A gentleman. A pro. Deeply saddened by this

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Shit. That sucks. Hashing out all-state teams with him was an education in itself. I didn't know it was possible to know so much about high school sports.

4. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

Got the news last night. I only knew him during his retirement years, and he was still on my list of journalists that I aspire to be compared to. Great person and an encyclopedia of Virginia sports.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mr. Marshall Johnson was one of the finest gentlemen that I've had the pleasure to meet in this whacky business. Always had a kind word to say and would give you tips on how to make your job easier. This truly saddens me as well. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted