1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Mark Wells

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 19, 2024.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

playthrough, maumann and Liut like this.
  2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

RIP. I still idolize all those guys although I was never what you would call a huge hockey fan. Micro, I agree with you 100 percent about being the greatest team accomplishment; of course, younger fans who look at it through the scope of today's Olympics still don't quite understand what that meant. I remember explaining it to a relative of mine: "Imagine if your local high school football team made it to the state championship and had to play the Patriots" (This of course being during Tom Brady's heyday).

I think that makes it three down as far as players on the 1980 squad: Wells follows Bob Suter and Mark Pavelich. And then there's also Herb Brooks.

Liut likes this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I'm no hockey expert, but that's pretty good for a guy on the fourth line, right?

4. Beachey

Beachey Member

Calling them a good high school team is understating the talent on that team. At least half a dozen had long and productive NHL careers. 1980 Miracle On Ice Olympic Players that went to the NHL - Reel Faces

An achievement that opened the door for many more US college hockey players to get a shot in the NHL. In the 1979-1980 season, 84.2% of all players were Canadian (which is lower than I thought). https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nationality-totals/nhl-players-1979-80-stats.html. This year it was 42%.

Liut likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I think a more valid comparison would be asking a college all-star team to defeat the greatest NFL team of all time.

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Sold his gold medal to pay for medical expenses.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

USA! USA! USA!

Tighthead likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted