1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Margaret Thatcher

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That's entertainment.

Very polarizing figure in my house. My old man, a hardcore Scottish Labour man, only felt she was worthy when she was sending the ships to the Falklands. He thought it was too bad they couldn't have picked up a fucking layabout like me to put me to work for once. (I was 16, 17 at the time.)

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As has been pointed out elsewhere, there's a degree of irony that she worked so hard to preserve the Union with Northern Ireland but is also a huge part of the underlying motivation for the Scottish independence referendum.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, the last two Labour Party heads, made absolutely no attempt to rollback the Thatcherite economic legacy. So her impact was enormous.

Wierdly, though, she's like Jim Callaghan, the Prime Minister who presided over the "Winter of Discontent" in 1979 (strikes, strikes and more strikes.) He also faded away from the public scene long before his death, and like him, I don't see her actual death as causing any great ruckus.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Also: not great on apartheid. And supported Pinochet.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

"Let's privatise her funeral. Put it out to competitive tender and accept the cheapest bid. It's what she would have wanted." -- Ken Loach

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Her two memoirs are recommended reading for political junkies on either side of the pond.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Amen.

Stand down, Margaret.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/04/08/margaret_thatcher_vs_pop_culture.html

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Anybody who'd quibble with the use of "polarizing" to describe Thatcher is either clueless or just looking for a fight. If that word ever fit anyone, it's her. Deskslave nailed it in his first post at the start of this thread, Brits either loved or loathed her, with extraordinarily few in the middle.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Count Morrissey among those not broken up by this. I believe "Margaret on the guillotine" was in the Smiths' catalogue.

10. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

I'll take "What does Scotland and Texas have in common" for $500, Alex.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Who will make up the US delegation at her funeral?

Would Obama go?

12. Poor infrastructure and inflated sense of importance?

Draft saved Draft deleted