1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Luciano Pavorotti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Sep 6, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You know, that kid said the same thing, and I never once doubted his opinion. On that, at least.

2. HAHAHAHAHA

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

show some respect you bastards ... rip.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

RIP, big guy. He was my conduit to the world of opera. I was an instrumentalist my entire childhood but, in my early 20's I stumbled onto a PBS broadcast of Luciano Pavarotti and Judith Blegen in "L'Elisir d'Amore" with subtitles. Then my Mom bought his Christmas album and I was really intrigued - enough so that when I could finally afford to go to University to get my Bachelor of Music - Education I chose voice as my major instrument. Then I got so hooked I swapped the Education stream for Performance.

There hasn't been anyone like him since Caruso, really. An opera singer who captures the general public's attention and imagination is pretty rare. I mean, who else could put "Nessun Dorma" in the Top Ten? He exuded charm and charisma and audiences felt drawn to him. He was not my favourite tenor (that would be the inimitable Placido Domingo) but he was in my Top Five. His singing felt effortless, top notes with ease and his abilitity to float ravishing pianissimo high notes was breathtaking.

He sang much longer than he should have but it didn't seem to matter. People were drawn to his magic and if the top notes weren't there any longer people could still enjoy his musicality and, above all, that larger than life personality that seemed to encompass his entire audience in it's embrace.

So, Peace to the Loocher (as we used to call him) and endless clean white handkerchiefs.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We sing the greatest tenor of his age to his rest.

Perhaps we can correct the spelling of his name in the thread title, too.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Mrs. Flip and I saw him at the Erwin Center in Austin several years ago....great, great performance, though our seats were about three rows from the very top of the building.

7. (Pavarotti in his prime - La Boheme @ La Scala, 1979)

(Pavarotti in I Pagliacci)

Rest in peace. I doubt we'll ever again have an opera singer of his magnitude of superstardom.

8. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I don't mind admitting that Pavarotti's version of Nessun Dorma made me listen attentively, and play it again. While not the biggest operatic fan, that performance during the original Three Tenors concert entranced me enough to spend $250 for two tickets to the Meadowlands concert. As I get older, the ending of Nessun Dorma is still quite moving to me.

9. They probably said the same thing about Caruso.

Nonetheless, your point is a good one. It certainly will be a long time before we see anybody who comes close.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

La Boheme is one of my favorites. Thanks for the link.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Haven't seen this duet posted here yet. Pavarotti and James Brown:
    http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIyzNISw1Q

12. True, but I don't know many of my colleagues (mid-30s) who enjoy opera, let alone those younger than myself. It's part of a bigger concern -- the demise of the classical musical audience -- except opera has been further diluted by the rise of the Bocellis and Brightmans (the Pat Boones of opera). Although I must admit I'm warmed by the fact that this thread has 20+ replies.

Here's Luciano w/ Metha & the NY Philharmonic performing Nessun Dorma in 1980. Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted