1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Luciano Pavorotti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

AP just moved an alert

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP to Pavarotti.

Pavorotti is a car ... I think.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought Pavorotti was a Marie Callendar frozen pasta entree?

I wish I could say I appreciated his music, but I'm a musical prole. I appreciated his impact on the music world, though. Except his duet with Simon Le Bon. That was a bridge too far.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I appreciate his talent in a tangential way.

Last year while covering opening day for the Nats, we were treated to Placido Domingo performing the National Anthem (he's the general director at the Washington Opera). And it was absolutely spectacular; never heard a rendition like that in my life and I can't imagine I ever will. The power in his voice was incredible.

To think he was on par with Pavarotti and Carreras in the Three Tenors, I got an appreciation for what they can do.

So, with that, RIP.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Didn't we just establish you were opposed to these threads? Why help them by posting?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

No, I'm opposed (personally; everyone else can do as they please) to simply saying "RIP" in response. I also think saying "bless you" to someone who sneezes is stupid too, unless you're actually blessing them and not just saying the string of words you were taught to say in the event someone expels phlegm near you.

But that's neither here nor there.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Of the three, Domingo was all the most versatile. He was able to perform anything from Mozart to Puccini to modern work.

Pavarotti was more specialized in Romantic-era opera, but he was absolutely brilliant at it. It was a joy for me as an aspiring singer to see all three perform on the eve of the 1990 World Cup Final. Even if it wasn't in person, it was special.

A very sad night. Nessun Dorma indeed.

9. For several years, my dream has been to see Pavarotti...it will remain a dream

Watch this, I cried, you'll cry...

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To make Mystery Meat happy, here is my following post to Pavorotti:

Luciano was one of a kind and there is no way that he can be replaced.

It's a loss for us, but a huge gain for the Big Guy Upstairs. A Tenor has been added to Heaven's choir. :'(

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I had a friend -- I suppose -- in high school, who absolutely worshiped everything Pavorotti did, he and Andrea Bocelli. So every day for a while, I'd go up to him and crack jokes about Pavorotti having a heart attack or eating his way into a coma or some stupid shit, you know, just to piss the dude off. Well, it might be about seven years later, but the irony is not lost on me. However, I never said he'd go by pancreatic cancer. ...

For what it's worth: Sorry, Luc.

12. You're a jerk Mike, thanks...

Draft saved Draft deleted