1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Lou.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Nov 20, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Long day, very sad, and very very hard for me to write this. Wanted to share with my SJ friends that the beloved Lou, unintentional hero of Giblets and countless SJ seders, died today.

He was my stepfather for 20 years. I am heartbroken and drained and overwhelmed by my mother's grief.

We knew it was coming, merciful for him, blah blah blah all the things people say. All true, but still...so hard. They waited until all the family could travel to Boca to be with him, and then they removed life support. His heart stopped soon after. My mother clutched his hand and put her ear to his chest listening for some echo of life, some proof that this could not happen, that he would never really leave her. She reached up to his face and kissed him. The heart monitor showed another beat. Then another. Then none.

I wish he had known he was something of a message board icon, with a devoted fan base that shared his life and family with him, from Thanksgiving to Yom Kippur. He craved fried
    salami and Bonanza reruns and cranberry muffinettes and my mother. God, he loved my mother. Even after Alzheimers took every shred of dignity and adulthood from him, he still lit up like a bonfire when she walked into the room, even when she was shredding him for putting cantaloupe rinds in the recycling or dribbling apple juice on his good tie ('What is that dribble on your tie, Lou, is it apple juice? APPLE JUICE DRIBBLE ON YOUR TIE??')

I thought about putting this on the Giblets thread, but since our Thanksgiving this year will probably consist of shiva leftovers, I decided to keep this separate. Hope that makes sense. Besides, Lou would never want to call that much attention to himself and wreck a perfectly good Thanksgiving thread. He would want you to all go on eating, and raise a drumstick for
    him, wherever you are.

I don't know how many threads I've started on this board, but I know this is the first time I ever broke down and wept before hitting 'post.'

2. So sorry to hear the news, 21.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

damn... RIP to a board fav and sorry to you and 21's mom... I know things have been tough with him....
    He'll live on in Crossed Giblets, but I don't think it does his life justice.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So sorry, 21.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

To a good life well lived and well loved....

l'chaim

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sorry to hear that, 21.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sorry to hear that, 21.

His status as a folk hero here was well-earned.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

So sorry to hear, 21. God Bless...

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

May his memory be for a blessing, 21.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My best wishes to you and your family, 21. May Lou Rest In Peace.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss 21.

Hang in there.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss, 21. Prayers to you and your family.

Draft saved Draft deleted