1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Liz Taylor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Mar 23, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

not every one. nor are those who don't know who liz was an 'idiot.' but everyone's 'relevance' expires at some point. unless you're a film buff, why would it be hard to believe most -- not all -- folks under 30 know who liz taylor was? i may be wrong, but do kids study 'movie stars' in school now?

don't take these posts so personally....

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Ditto, not calling anyone an idiot.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

RIP. She was mega-hot back in the day. And a terrific actress as well, obviously.

But this always makes me laugh.

[​IMG]

Great story TigerVols. Also, great humanitarian, I hope they focus on that as much as her 12,000 marriages.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Honestly, there were times in this my bullshit detector went off. That probably says a lot more about my experiences in journalism travel ("Hey, we booked you the Motel 6 in the shitty part of town!") compared to yours.

Incredible story.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's awesome. As I recall, something similar happened with either Bob Hope or George Burns.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I was just telling my mom the story (again) and she did make one correction...it wasn't A Current Affair. We think it might have been Hard Copy.

Everything else is accurate and she has a Xerox photo of me with a microphone in front of Liz on the plane to prove it!

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

She was a stone-cold hottie back in the day. Also loves her in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woof. One of the greats.

RIP

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

RIP Elizabeth (Hilton Wilding Todd Fisher Burton Burton Warner Fortensky) Taylor

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Another legend gone. RIP.

A bit of trivia I heard on the radio this morning: Liz died on March 23 -- 53 years to the day that husband & Producer Michael Todd was killed in a plane crash.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wonder what that's like when you get to heaven and there's all those spouses. Todd should be at the front of the line, really.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This is the second time (that I know of) in the last several years that the writer of the NYT obit had died years before it ran. I don't remember if the one who wrote Bob Hope's or someone like that, it was the case then as well.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

WSJ says you are correct:

http://blogs.wSportsJournalists.com/speakeasy/2011/03/23/new-york-times-obit-writer-for-elizabeth-taylor-died-6-years-ago/?mod=google_news_blog

Draft saved Draft deleted