1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP LeRoi Moore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sax player from the Dave Matthews Band died today at 46. No matter your feelings on the band, the guy was a true talent.

2. Well, damn. That sucks.

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Here's the link - I DB'ed this over on the Anything Goes board ...

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10248586
    Wow.
    This is the first "celebrity" death that has really stung me, personally.
    I've been listening to DMB for 15 years now, loved every minute of every show, nearly every song and loved everything about them.
    This is a tough one for me and it will be hard to see how the band moves on from it.
    R.I.P. LeRoi. The world lost a good one today.

If anyone comes here after the show in LA, I'd love to hear how that was.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

RIP.

I just saw DMB in OKC last week and the guy they had filling in, (Flecktone Jeff Coffin) while still talented, couldn't hold Moore's jock.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seconded.

I first saw DMB when they were playing small venues/bigger bars. I think Trees in Dallas was my first show. When Jerry died and the Grateful Dead quit touring, I started hitting DMB shows each summer. LeRoi was one of my favorite parts of the band. When he'd crank up the baritone sax, it just rumbled through the audience.

Tonight's setlist (so far, the show is still going) via the Warehouse. I can't imagine the emotions there,

Edit: Complete setlist ...

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Friend saw them play in Memphis a couple weeks back.
    And, oddly enough, I had been watching the Gorge live concert DVD just yesterday.
    Sucky sucky.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I might have to bust out the Red Rocks CD tomorrow on the way to work. RIP.

8. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

DMB was the first band I really, really got into. They were key players in the soundtrack to my high school and college years, and I spent dozens of summer evenings enjoying their live shows. And while the band will go on, LeRoi will definitely be missed.

He always wore sunglasses on stage to get over his stage fright. I always thought it was cool that he never took them off.

RIP indeed.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I have mixed feelings about DMB. Intellectually, I know they are all talented dudes. Sonically, I think they kind of suck.

No doubt Mr. Moore was a hell of a sax player. RIP.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Damn, damn. RIP.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

Just finished watching "Live at Piedmont Park", and ordered the Busch Stadium DVD, his last performance.

RIP, Mr. Moore; You were a true talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted