1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Larry Cathey

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Angola!

Angola! New Member

It is with great sadness that I pass along the news that Larry Cathey died Friday night after a brief battle with cancer.

Larry was the sports editor at the Grants Pass (Ore.) Daily Courier and before that worked at the Paris (Texas) paper.

He was a great guy, strong writer and generally hilarious person to interact with.

He had just had a baby girl in August. Life seems terribly unfair at times.

I met him through SJ under his handle Perennially Overrated.

Rest in Peace, big guy.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

RIP, Larry. Cancer is a bitch, and never more so than when it takes a loving father from a beautiful girl two months after she was born. Thoughts to his wife and daughter.

He was 33.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My god, how awful.

My thoughts and prayers will be with his family. May they have the strength to find their way without him.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Never met the guy in real life but I remember liking him on the boards. A damn shame.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Met him once covering a game. Really nice, helpful, friendly guy.

Kept up with him on Facebook ever since. This is heartbreaking.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

May his family and friends do "the tell" for his daughter.

RIP

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ugh. Cancer sucks. Never met Larry but IJAG's post just makes you cry. My thoughts to the family.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

RIP Larry. Heartbreaking news.

If there is some kind of memorial fund set up for the family, please post it here so we can contribute.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is devastating beyond words. I never met Larry ("met" him as the hilarious P.O. here) but even just simply interacting with him on Facebook, it was clear he was so happy as a husband and a new father. There is no rational reason why a so-called benevolent higher being would saddle a 30-something man with Stage 4 cancer and take him away two months after his daughter was born.

Rest in peace, Larry. I will miss you.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Awful. One of his best friends PM'ed me the news, the friend is devastated as you can expect. His close of "fuck cancer" rings true as it always does. BYH said it well, no rationale.

RIP Larry.

11. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

So sad to hear this news.

RIP, Larry.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sad news. Wish I'd gotten to know him since moving up this way. Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted