1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kurt Vonnegut

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Poo-too-weet?

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Damn, I'm sad to read this. He was a great writer and a real original.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Roscoe Lee Browne also died today.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One of the greatest things about him is that while he left Indiana, Indiana never left him.

So it goes.

5. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

I wonder what fellow Hoosier Michael Martone would have to say about this sad news.

A friend of mine once wrote Vonnegut and asked for writing advice, not really expecting an answer. KV not only wrote back, he was incredibly supportive and corresponded with my friend regularly for a while.

Classy guy. Sad news.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Let me guess, it all went very well until Vonnegut wrote the guy's term paper for him, which got a failing grade because the prof knew it was plagiarized and also didn't think the writer knew the first thing about Vonnegut? And then your friend put a stop payment on the check and vowed to befriend Robert Ludlum instead?

Sorry. I had to do it. :)

Hey, Kurt, do you read lips? RIP.

7. boots

boots New Member

Great writer. will be missed. Had a part in Rodney Dangerfield's "Back to School" movie.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Really?

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Yes he did. I'll give you a clue, the smallish professor wasn't Kurt. That was Sam Kinnison.

Great author and a great mind. What a great life he has lived.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

joking about one poster's ignoring preceding posts....

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Cat's Cradle is friggin' creepy and genius.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Before I read any of his books, I read one by his son, Mark, about losing his mind on commune in British Columbia and winding up in the nuthouse and eventually getting better. His dad wrote the preface. I guess this would be sort of like listening to Sean Lennon without having heard anything by his dad. And then hearing the dad. A bizarre way to approach it.

Draft saved Draft deleted