1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Jan 26, 2020.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Got no problem with that, but man that game would have pulled a heckuva rating. The postponed date won't be the same.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Did Wichita State drop football immediately after the crash.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I’ve heard it said of Jews, too.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

by his own admission he had nonconsensual sex with a 19 year old employee of a hotel where he was guest. Rape is non consensual vaginal or anal or oral intercourse (depending on jurisdiction how they define rape v sex offenses) by for force or threat of force.
    “Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.” Said Kobe Bryant

She did not consent. He said she did not. He believes, after the fact, that she did not consent. Call it what you will.
    Privilege sex? It takes two to consent. If one party did not consent, it was not consensual sex. We can quibble over what to call it. But it was not consensual and therefore it was not sex. It was an act of violence and assertion of power and privilege.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If someone is 'devoted' then let the spouse or family say so.

Lazy writing.

Tweener likes this.
  6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pretty much every fawning puff piece on Cuckboy Jared and his wife, the Pretty Princess, makes sure to mention they are "devout" and strictly observant Orthodox Jews. Just before dropping the titillating tidbits about the little dispensations they get from their own personal rabbis:

https://nypost.com/2017/06/14/ivanka-and-jared-dont-let-sabbath-get-in-the-way-of-golf/

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner break Orthodox Jewish tradition just to fly with Donald

But fear not, when forced out to the links by the brutal forces of reality, they do what they can to maintain the pristine sanctity of the Sabbath:
    OK, enough of that. Back to Kobe.

Given his history, I'd have probably held off on describing him as a "devoted husband." I'd probably go with "involved parent"; I don't think anybody would dispute that, especially considering the circumstances of his death.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

A thousand times this. Boggling my mind for 30 hours now.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

George Costanza dated a devout Latvian Orthodox girl.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Oh for the love of shit. This is PK's lede to today's FOOTBALL MORNING IN AMERICA BECAUSE FOOTBALL IS AMERICA PLEASE STAND FOR THE FLAG EVERYONE WE LOVE AMERICA

After something so senseless as Bryant and eight others dying in a helicopter crash Sunday near L.A., I prefer to remember how great Bryant the player was, and how great Bryant the father and person was becoming. He was trying to be Jonathan Livingston Seagull in his next life. Let’s take that from the life and times of Kobe Bryant.

I can think of something else I'd tell everyone to take from the life and times of Kobe Bryant, but I'm not surprised ol' PK sees it differently.

poindexter and Junkie like this.
  10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'd been trying to hold my tongue. Mama always said if you've got nothing good to say, don't say it.

When is it OK to discuss the totality of this person's life?

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

When people on a message board and social media declare it so, of course.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The beatification of Kobe Bryant is getting out of control. His death as well as every other death yesterday was tragic. But the glowing terms of his fatherly love and devotion sound very patronizing. He’s no different a father than 30 million other American men, he just has more resources and time due to his success playing basketball.

Iron_chet and Tweener like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted